The Battle of Stirling Bridge took place over the 10th and 11th of September 1297 and was the first major engagement of what was to become the Scottish Wars of Independence. It was marked once again by patriots and supporters of various organisations such as the Society of William Wallace and the Guardians of Scotland Trust today, with a march and rally at Old Stirling Bridge. Members of Stirling SNP and other branches were in attendance including Branch Convener Andrew Szwebs and Cllr Fergus Wood.
Steven Paterson MP was to have spoken but sent his apologies after taking unwell- get well soon Steven.
The crowd marched from Causewayhead to the Bridge with Tullieallan Pipe Band in the vanguard and it made a spectacle of colour and noise as it made it’s way down the route of the ancient causeway.
The addresses to the crowd were made by Organiser and musician Ted Christopher, Cllr Fergus Wood ( in his capacity of trustee of Guardians of Scotland Trust), Historian Murray Cook, George Kempik from the Society of William Wallace, John Drummond Moray ( descendant of Andrew de Moray) and music was provided by Alastair McDonald and of course Ted Christopher.
A minute’s silence to mark the sacrifice of combatants who fell on both sides of the battle all those years ago accompanied the annual replacing of the St Andrews Flag. It is thought some 5000 warriors fell in the area of Bridge Haugh many never to have been found having been swept into the river and out to sea.
A great commemoration and thanks go to the organisers, speakers, Tullieallan Pipe Band and Police Scotland who helped the marchers have a safe and enjoyable time on the march from Causewayhead.