10th September 2015

Proposed Political Education Trip to Westminster

Susan McGill

Susan is Political Education officer for the branch

Our branch is considering having a trip to Westminster, to see first hand where the 56 SNP MPs are making their mark. City of Stirling Branch Political Education Officer Susan McGill shares the following information:

The following details are to give a rough idea of timings and costs of a 3 day trip to London.

  • Our MP may be able to arrange a tour around House of Commons and perhaps ticket to PMQ, but we will need to wait until the next session of Parliament to arrange this.
  • It would be helpful if you could give an indication if you are interested in signing up to this trip.
  • All monies for travel and accommodation would need to be paid prior to any bookings being made.

I’ve given some prices as a ROUGH guide looking at return flights, transfer from airport to London, and accommodation – if booked sufficiently in advance. This example is based on travelling – leaving 3rd December – return 6th December – 3 nights.


Easyjet – Edinburgh-Stansted £52 return – per person


Train – Stansted to Liverpool Street Station £38 per person


Waterloo Travelodge – twin/double room £261 based on 2 people sharing

Liverpool Street Travelodge – twin/double room £269 based on 2 people sharing

Travel within London

Oyster Card – £5 to buy Oyster Card then you put money on for travel on Underground or bus

In summary

If 2 people are going and are sharing a room the ROUGH cost of travel and accommodation for 3 nights would be £225.50 (flights, transfer, accommodation, purchase of Oyster card). What is not included:

  • Travel to and from Edinburgh airport
  • Food
  • Travel within London
  • Travel Insurance

If you wish to join this trip dates will be discussed depending on the availability of activities in Westminster – to be advised by Steven Paterson MP. If you’re interested, please let Susan know by emailing, giving: your name, phone number, whether or not you mind sharing a room and whether you have photo ID (e.g. passport or driving licence).